09 April 2024

Ten on Tuesday #3

 Today's Ten on Tuesday topic is my ten favorite modern bands/singers. I've been thinking about music a lot, and I decided I wanted to share my favorites. I have a lot of favorites from earlier time periods, but I'll share those a different week.

1. U2. I LOVE the way U2 gels. I love that they've been together since 1976 - they're my age! Okay, the band members aren't, but the band is. In my opinion, Bono has the best voice in music today. It's smoky, sultry, and sexy. I could listen to Bono for hours (and sometimes do). The Edge is a mastermind on the guitar, and Adam Clayton is my favorite bassist out there. Larry Mullen, Jr. is brilliant on the drums. I love U2 lyrics. They're so poignant and heartfelt. If I had to choose one favorite U2 song, it would be With or Without You. That song moves me. It speaks to my soul. The Joshua Tree is my favorite U2 album, with Achtung Baby a very close second.

I've been lucky enough to see U2 live three times. Each concert was so different and so brilliant. The first time I saw them was the Elevation tour. My sister and I got tickets and ended up in the general admission section. The heart-shaped stage was surrounded by hundreds of fans. Diane and I ended up on the first row at the point of the heart. We were RIGHT THERE. As luck would have it, Bono spent a good portion of that concert right in front of us. I have a picture somewhere of him looking directly at me. It just happened to be while he was singing With or Without You. Yes, there were tears shed that night. It was transcendent. 

2. Depeche Mode. Dave Gahan is right up there with Bono in the sexy voice department. Another singer I could listen to for hours. I love the edgy, electronic sound that Depeche Mode is famous for. Their lyrics are poetic. The songs are memorable. My favorite Depeche Mode album is Violator, and I'd be hard pressed to choose just one favorite song. I love almost every DM song out there. I was able to see them live in Las Vegas. That concert was awe-inspiring! I loved every second of it. I was there with my other sister, Shelley. We had an amazing time. We sang our hearts out and spent the entire concert on our feet, dancing. When it was over, we left on an emotional high. It was brilliant. The next morning, we found out about the mass shooting that took place. We were right there. We almost stayed at the Mandalay Bay (thankfully, we decided to get on the road and ended up staying in Mesquite). We felt so lucky that our concert wasn't targeted. It could have been. So easily could have been. It was an experience I never want to have again. I'm grateful that I have my memories of the concert to look back on. Sadly, I'll never be able to see Depeche Mode as it was again. Andy Fletcher passed away a couple years ago, and the band will never be the same. I'm so glad I got to see them before he passed.

3. INXS. Speaking of amazing voices, Michael Hutchence. MICHAEL HUTCHENCE. Oh my goodness, that voice. Honestly, he ranks right up there with Bono and Dave Gahan. I've loved INXS for as long as I remember listening to music. I've seen them live too, but sadly, not while Michael Hutchence was alive. The fellow who replaced him for a time was fantastic though, and sounded so much like Michael. I think my favorite INXS song would be Never Tear Us Apart. I love their sound and I love how playful they can be, but also serious and sexy. Good music!

4. The Cure. Ah, Robert Smith. The one time I've seen The Cure live was at an outdoor festival in Salt Lake. It was so fun, but I do wish they'd stuck to more well-known songs. They played their entire new (new at that time) album, and it was unfamiliar. I wanted to hear my favorites! It was still fun - Robert Smith is WEIRD. He looked like a big spider hunkered over the microphone. I had to laugh at that! He's an amazing singer though. I love that voice! My favorite Cure song is Lovesong.

5. Imagine Dragons. I was introduced to Imagine Dragons by my students several years ago. I immediately fell in love with their music. It's the kind of music that gets in your head, but not in a bad way. I haven't had the chance to see them live yet, but I hope to! I did have tickets once, but I got so sick that I couldn't go. I was bummed! Someday. My favorite ID song is Radioactive.

6. One Republic. I really like One Republic, not to be confused with One Direction, whom I do NOT like. One Republic feels like a band for adults, not teenagers. I like that. I like their sound and their lyrics. I'd love to see them live someday! I'd pick Love Runs Out or Apologize as my favorite songs.

7. Adele. That voice! Oh, that voice. The first time I heard Adele, I was in awe. I've always wished I was that powerful, but I don't even come close. I love the emotion, the strength, and the storytelling in Adele's songs. My favorite is Rolling in the Deep, and I love to sing it even though I'm definitely nowhere near her league. Someday, I hope to see her in concert.

8. Coldplay. Coldplay is my go-to on a dreary day. Their songs are so mellow and calming. They're good for my anxiety! I'd love to see them live. My favorite Coldplay song is Fix You. When I was first starting to notice that my mental health wasn't as it should be, I listened to that song on repeat for HOURS. It really did have a calming effect on me, and made me feel like maybe I could actually be fixed. It was lovely!

9. Def Leppard. I don't actually seem like a Def Leppard fan, but I adore them! I like the harder sound, and that it's not metal-sounding. I can still understand their lyrics and hear their voices loud and clear. I think they're brilliant! One time, they played the Eastern Idaho State Fair and boy, do I wish I'd gone! Missed opportunity. My favorite DL song is Pour Some Sugar on Me.

10. R.E.M. I went through a pretty big R.E.M. phase in my 20s. My brother was really into them and got me hooked. I've liked them ever since. I used to be able to play Superman on the guitar, but since I haven't played the guitar in years (maybe even decades?), I can't anymore. I bet I could pick it back up though. I love so many of their songs, but if I had to choose, I'd probably choose It's the End of the World as We Know It.

There you go! Do we share any favorite bands? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!